Thursday, May 10, 2012

Your first narrator

Audible.com has a catchy slogan this month. "Thank your first narrator." They're referring, of course, to Mother's Day this Sunday, and suggesting that an audiobook would be a nice gift.
This started me thinking about mothers (and fathers) as first narrators. As a former public school teacher, I believe one of the most important things a parent can do is read to their child. And you can't start too early. A kid doesn't have to be old enough to understand the words to enjoy sitting on Mom or Dad's lap and listening to a story. It establishes a link in the child's mind between a book and comfort. This becomes a love for books which tends to translate into success in school.
My mother sat on the sofa, my brother on one side me on the other, and read us bedtime stories. I'll never understand why she loved reading us The Five Little Peppers (boring) and hated Winnie the Pooh. I loved Winnie the Pooh, but she wouldn't read it unless I insisted. It's taken years of therapy, but I have my own copy now.
That said, I know a lot of my friends listen to audiobooks on road trips. It's a safe alternative to texting or phoning. But I've discovered a new use for writers or those who'd like to become writers. I don't know how it works, but listening to a book on audio helps me to see its construction better. Maybe it's because my mind isn't occupied with turning pages and not dropping the book. I'm not good at multi-tasking.
If you've any thought of buying or gifting an audiobook, may I suggest the newly released Death on the Aegean Queen, narrated by the wonderful Karen Krause, or Death of an Obnoxious Tourist, narrated by the equally wonderful Connie Terwilliger? They're on iTunes, Audible.com, and Amazon.
And if you know anyone expecting, buy them a book for the new baby.

2 comments:

  1. I just finished Death of an Obnoxious Tourist and I loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad to hear it, Kerri. Thanks for telling me.

    ReplyDelete