Wednesday, May 16, 2012

The Cost of ePubbing

Five minutes ago I put The Man on the Istanbul Train on Amazon Kindle. It will be "In Review" for a day or so, then "Live" and available for $3.99. This morning's action cost me nothing, but getting it to this point has cost me $1500. I'm posting this for other writers, not for sympathy.
You don't have to spend a penny to ePub but the end product will likely show it. Here's how my expenses break down:  Editing-$900, Cover design-$400, Formatting-$200.
I did not skimp. I retained the best editor I know and the best cover designer I know. You gets what you pays for. The result is a novel I'm proud of, but which will need to sell for some months before I break even.
Authors? Readers? Leave me a comment. Worth it?

4 comments:

  1. I will be interested in hearing if you make back your money. Many ebooks have made their authors nice sums of money, but others have barely brought in enough to buy dinner at a fast food restaurant. I wish you the best with your book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll let you know . . .but I've made enough with my other books on Kindle to buy a bunch of dinners.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you've made a good investment in your own work. You don't want to put up something you're not proud of. The lesson from Amanda Hawking (I hope I have her name right) is that success comes only after work and your own investment. I hope you'll let us know how you make out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will let you know. And you're right, I'd never want to put up something I'm not proud of. Congratulations on the starred review from Library Journal!

    ReplyDelete