Friday, January 13, 2012

Packing for Dallas

This coming week will take me to an event I've been looking forward to for months. At the American Library Association's Midwinter Conference Dallas, I'll be shooting my mouth off on two panels on the Pop Top stage. I'll be  on "Well, Slap My Knee," subtitled, What's so funny about murder? with Joanna Slan, Rachel Brady, Rosemary Harris and Lucy Burdette.

And they're trusting me to be the moderator on "Don't Fence Me In," with the globetrotting authors, Cara Black, Deborah Crombie, Charles (Caroline) Todd, and Martin Limon. Wow. Talk about a rarefied atmosphere.

What are the chances I'll actually arrive at the appointed hour with all my stuff? I'll get to Dallas at about 5 p.m. on Friday and I have to pick up the mounted, laminated posters at Office Depot before the store closes. Shipping 18 x 24 foam core boards wasn't a viable option.

Five Star/Cengage is supposed to get the galleys of Death of a Second Wife on the 18th (in Waterville, Maine) and overnight them to my hotel in Dallas for giveaways and signings on Sat.

I'm taking a suitcase full of tchotchkes (my favorite new word), display easels, and Five Star catalogs with me because, as a card-carrying Delta frequent flyer, they'll let me check one bag for free. I'll put my clothes in my carryon. Pray for no lost luggage.

I've never been to Dallas so I'm hoping for a little free time to see the world of the Ewings. Did I just date myself?

Later,
Maria

No comments:

Post a Comment