Wednesday, February 6, 2013

The Next Big Thing

I'd like to thank Carolyn Mulford, a fellow Five Star author,  for inviting me to join everyone in this Blog Hop. Her mystery, Show Me the Murder, is coming out next week,. So exciting! There's nothing like holding your baby in your own hands when the stork (read mailman) drops that cardboard box on your doorstep.

I have to confess that I was invited to do this a few weeks ago, but I flat out forgot to invite and post. Last week I accepted Carolyn's invitation, determined to do right this time. But the problem is, everyone's already done it. Everyone but me. Every author I invited told me he/she had already done it. Okay, I didn't actually invite Stephen King, or J. K. Rowling, assuming they might not know who I was. So I have no one to refer you to for next week's blog hop. Alas, the fate of all Ponzis is to collapse under their own weight. Of course this isn't a real Ponzi because no money is involved and the only result is that readers find out about new books.

1. What is the working title of your book?

The Man on the Istanbul Train.

2. Where did the idea come from for the book?

On a trip to Turkey a couple of years ago, I was captivated by the atmosphere of Istanbul. My original idea involved an ancient manuscript and harrowing chase through the Topkapi Palace. This story has nothing to do with either of these. I think I mentioned the Topkapi Palace a couple of times.

3. What genre does your book come under?

Traditional mystery or thriller. Take your pick.

4. Which actors would you choose to play your characters in a movie rendition?

Amanda Seyfried, from Mama Mia! and Les Miserables, would be wonderful as Lacy Glass, botanist and pigment expert. Beautiful, brilliant, and horribly accident-prone.

How about Hugh Jackman as Paul Hannah, archaeologist and a hard man to catch?

5. What is the one-sentence synopsis of your book?

On a train from Istanbul to an archaeological dig in central Turkey, Dr. Lacy Glass sees a man she's recently befriended fly off the train, dead, and at the same time a man with the same name dies in a tent at the dig.

6. Is your book self-published, published by an independent publisher, or represented by an agency?

Self-published

7. How long did it take you to write the first draft of your manuscript?

About six months.

8. What other books would you compare this story to within your genre?

Can't think of a single one.

9. Who or what inspired you to write this book?

My treks around Istanbul and through Turkey's great interior--places like Konya, Antalya, and Cappadoccia and especially the vast spaces in between.

10. What else about your book might pique the reader's interest?

This is not a love story, but people have told me Lacy and Paul need to wise up and deal with their feelings. The story also involves archaeology, Turkish carpets, the black market in antiquities, and a wannabe spy named Milo who is one of my favorite characters, ever.

Please visit any of the online ebook sites for The Man on the Istanbul Train, and check out Carolyn Mulford's website: http://carolynmulford.com.





No comments:

Post a Comment