Sunday, December 25, 2011

This is my first post. I intend to keep this up about twice a week and I'll be talking about traveling, mysteries,
writing, and publishing in world where nothing stays the same for long. I feel like I'm on one of those airport people movers, running, and stepping on my own shoestrings.
Seriously. I've quit saying, "I'll never self-pub. Never, never, never!" Now it's more like, "I think I will put my two newest books up on all the espots and see what happens."
The thing that bothers me the most about this brave new world is that there is no gatekeeper. No publishers or agents to say, "This sucks." Or maybe, "Needs work." How will people know (How will I know) when a book is pure trash and when it's good? I buy books too, you know, and I get overwhelmed by the volume of books I can get with one click. I'm afraid I fall back on name recognition and that keeps me from discovering fresh new voices. Guess what? The old book store owner hand-selling a book he loves was serving us well, but he's almost gone.
I miss him. I still like holding a real book.
But here I go. Uh oh. Now I've got to pay for my own cover design, editing, layout, and probably a bunch of other things I haven't thought of yet.
So please sign up as a follower and let me know you're there.

No comments:

Post a Comment